How To Update A PS5 Controller
The game controllers we get nowadays are quite complicated to work with. And just like the consoles they get attached to, updating them from time to time is a must. Sadly, the PlayStation doesn’t grant you control over when you update your controllers, and even when an update is available, you will only have a brief period of time to accept it. Notwithstanding, updating is absolutely necessary and we break down how to make it happen on your PS5 below.
Update Your PS5 Controller Automatically:
Whenever an update is available for your DualSense controllers, a prompt will be visible when you power on your PS5 or wake it from Rest Mode. It will be named “Wireless Controller Device Software” and it’ll inform you about updating your controller.
As soon as it appears, simply:
- Connect your controller to the PS5 using its USB-C charging cable.
- Choose “Update Now.” Your controller will start updating – do not power off your PS5 or unplug the controller.
You can also choose “Notify After 24 Hours.” This will mute the prompt for a day, and as soon as the day passes, it will be visible again when you power on your PS5.
Updating Your PS5 Controller Manually:
If you decide to ignore the update (or pressed the wrong button), you have 2 options: Hold on until the next day or change your settings to make your PlayStation believe it is already the next day. See how:
- With your PC still connected to the PS5, access the PS5’s Settings menu by tapping the gear icon in the top-right corner of the PS5’s homepage.
- Choose “Network,” and then “Settings.”
- Deactivate your internet connection by ensuring “Connect To The Internet” is toggled off, and this will let you set the time and date manually.
- Head to the main Settings page and scroll down to “System.”
- Choose “Date and Time” and then “Set Manually,” then change the date to 24 hours ahead of your current time.
- Restart your console and the “Wireless Controller Device Software” prompt will be visible again.
As soon as you update your controllers, simply reconnect to the internet and correct the date.
Connect AirPods To PS4 Or PS5:
- Connect your Bluetooth adaptor to your PS4 or PS5, have it set to pairing mode.
- Open your AirPods case (with the AirPods inside,) then press and hold the sync button. Hold until the Bluetooth adaptor says it has been paired successfully. Ensure your AirPods are well charged before trying this connection, and this also applies to battery-powered Bluetooth adaptors.
- On your PS4 or PS5, head to Settings, then Devices, then Audio Devices.
- Modify the Output Device to match your setup (like Headphones Connected to Controller). Change Output to Headphones to All Audio. Pls note that these instructions can be used to connect your Bluetooth headphones of choice to PS4, not only AirPods.
Use A PS4 Controller On A PS5:
- Plug your DualShock 4 controller into one of the USB ports on your PS5 via a microUSB cable.
- Press and hold the PlayStation button on your controller for 5 seconds until the status light begins to flash.
- The PS5 will prompt you to select which player will use the controller. Decide on one.
- Unplug the cable.
The controller will now be paired with the PS5 and you should not need to use the microUSB cable again.
More Information On PS5:
The PlayStation 5 (PS5) is a home video game console developed by Sony Interactive Entertainment. Announced in 2019 as the successor to the PlayStation 4, the PS5 was released on November 12, 2020, in Australia, Japan, New Zealand, North America, and South Korea, with worldwide release following a week later. The PS5 is part of the ninth generation of video game consoles, along with Microsoft’s Xbox Series X and Series S consoles, which were released in the same month.
The base model includes an optical disc drive compatible with Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. The Digital Edition lacks this drive, allowing it to serve as a lower-cost model for those who prefer to buy games through digital download. The two variants were launched simultaneously.
The PlayStation 5’s main hardware features include a solid-state drive customized for high-speed data streaming to enable significant improvements in storage performance, an AMD GPU capable of 4K resolution display at up to 120 frames per second, hardware-accelerated ray tracing for realistic lighting and reflections, and the Tempest Engine allowing for hardware-accelerated 3D audio effects. Other features include the DualSense controller with haptic feedback and backward compatibility with most of the PlayStation 4 and PlayStation VR games.
Accessories include a charging station for the DualSense, a new HD camera, and a media remote control. The Pulse 3D wireless headset is integrated with the PS5’s Tempest Engine 3D audio technology.
Thanks for reading How To Update A PS5 Controller. You can click to read about AirDrop Not Working? Fix It Fast With These 15 Tips.
Don’t Forget To Like, Comment, and Share with your friends.